Sunday 8 June 2008

In the Spotlight -- Kim Howes LCIBSE

Kim Howes LCIBSE

Kim Howes joined CIBSE in 1999 as a Licentiate member with Engineering Technician registration through the ECUK.

Kim is Programme Director at Mid Kent College for HNC Building Services Engineering and has been teaching for four years. Prior to teaching, Kim was an electrician, and then became an M&E surveyor for an organisation called mhs.homes.

Recently Kim contributed written course work & assignment content for BTEC in a Box on behalf of Edexcel. The material is for tutors and learners to reference and use at the national certificate level.

Kim is also currently writing teacher support material for the new Level 3 Diploma for Construction and the Built Environment, which will be taught in schools.

This past year, Kim ran the London Marathon and came 213th in the open women’s race, in a time of 3.22.07 and was 43rd in her age group (W40). Her target for next year is a sub 3.20.

Why did Kim choose a career in building services engineering?

“When I was on the tools as an electrician I became bored, I missed the academic side of college so I looked for a job which challenged me academically. Mhs.homes took me on and suggested I went to college to study Building Services Engineering (BSE). I had no idea then how much I would love the subject, particularly how broad it is.

I went to Westminster College and studied my HNC and was taught by Harry Lawner who I think is a fantastic teacher (I do try to teach in his style). I then went to London South Bank University and attained the HND equivalent. I would like to study the distance learning Masters degree offered by London South Bank University in the future.”

2 comments:

angelinjones said...

The Department for Communities and Local Government (CLG) must spend more money on promoting the legislation supporting energy certification if the scheme is to be a success, warned industry representatives at a recent event launch of CIBSE Certification's Display Energy Certificate Assessor training courses.
---------------------
jones
Internet Marketing

Adrian said...

Hello. I am trying to make contact with Kim Howes and seem unable to locate her email address on the internet. I am the MD of HBXL (www.hbxl.co.uk). We are providers of software to the SME builder and are finding that colleges appear to want to use our software to deliver BTEC Level 3 Awards in Construction and the Built Environment and it occured to me that there may be some opportunities here. Can you pass my details to Kim for her to make contact please. Thanks.